Vincent P. Landeros, Attorney at Law    |    Pasadena, CA CONTACT US: 626-304-7062    |    HOME    |    CONTACT    |    FOLLOW US ON:     
Vincent P. Landeros, Attorney at Law I Can't Help If You Don't Call

Domestic Violence Protective Orders

Free Consultation
Call: 626-304-7062


Send Us a Text >>

In general, domestic violence protective order laws establish who can file for an order, what protection or relief a person can get from such an order, and how the order will be enforced. While there are differences from state to state, all protective order statutes permit the court to order the abuser to stop hurting or threatening you ("cease abuse" provisions). The majority of states' orders can also instruct the abuser to stay away from you, your home, your workplace or your school ("stay away" provisions). You generally also can ask the court to order that all contact, whether by telephone, text messages, notes, mail, fax, email, through a third person, or delivery of flowers or gifts, is prohibited ("no contact" provisions).

Some statutes also allow the court to order the abuser to pay you temporary child support or continue to make mortgage payments on a home owned by both of you ("support" provisions), to award you sole use of a home or car owned by both of you ("exclusive use" provisions), or to pay you for medical costs or property damage caused by the abuser ("restitution" provisions).

When the abuser does something that the court has ordered him/her not to do, or fails to do something the court has ordered him/her to do, s/he may have violated the order. The victim can ask the police or the court, or both, depending on the violation, to enforce the order. The police can generally enforce the stay away, no contact, cease abuse, exclusive use, and possibly custody provisions - those that need immediate response. If you are unable to call them when the violation occurs, they should take a report if you call them soon afterwards. In some cases, it might result in a misdemeanor or felony criminal conviction and punishment. These types of violations can also later be addressed by the civil court, and it is often a good idea to bring them to the court's attention.

Other violations are not easily enforced by the police, such as failure to pay support or attend treatment programs - those are better enforced by the court. If you file a "motion for contempt" in the court that issued the order, explaining how the abuser violated the order, the court will hold a hearing to determine if the facts prove that the abuser violated the order. If the court finds a violation did occur, the judge will determine a penalty. Depending upon the laws of your jurisdiction and the nature of the violation, the penalty might be a finding of contempt, which could result in a fine, jail time or both. The violation might also be a reason for the order to be extended or modified in some way.

Attorney Vincent Landeros is located in Pasadena, California, and has a practice dedicated to assisting men and women throughout the Los Angeles County, San Gabriel Valley, San Bernardino County area in family law and divorce matters, including domestic violence protective orders.

He is a well-established attorney with more than 20 years' experience and an aptitude for devising innovative solutions to complex matters. Should your dispute escalate into child custody litigation, you will have a tough, aggressive litigator on your side. You can also count on Mr. Landeros to give you the accurate information and sound advice you need to make informed decisions about child custody and other legal issues.

For additional information about our qualities and qualifications, visit our Benefits of Retaining Vincent Landeros page.

Call (626) 304-7062 for a free phone consultation with an experienced Pasadena family law and child custody dispute attorney to discuss how we can help you.

Contact a Skilled and Knowledgeable Pasadena Child Custody Attorney

For additional information about California child custody and visitation matters, or to discuss your particular situation with an experienced Pasadena child custody attorney, we invite you to take advantage of our free initial phone consultation to determine if we are the right law firm for you. Call (626) 304-7062, or, if you prefer, fill out our intake form and we will contact you to schedule a confidential consultation.

Mr. Landeros has earned a reputation throughout the Pasadena, San Bernardino, San Gabriel Valley and East Los Angeles County area for providing quality representation that is tailored to the needs and economical well-being of his clients. His no-nonsense style is appreciated by both his clients and the courts. His goal is to resolve your problem as efficiently and effectively as your circumstances will allow.

Remember...we can't help you if you don't call. You owe it to yourself to call us today.

Call (626) 304-7062 for a free phone consultation with an experienced Pasadena divorce attorney to discuss how we can help you.


  • Family Law and Divorce
  • Child Custody Disputes
  • Division of Property Issues
  • Child Support Matters
  • Divorcio y Ley Familiar
  • Restraining Orders
  • Domestic Violence Protective Orders
  • Bankruptcy Protection
  • Real Estate Litigation
  • Personal Injury
  • Home Why Retain Us Attorney Bio Practice Areas Articles Contact Us Child Custody Disputes Division of Property Child Support Issues

    Copyright © 2022 Vincent P. LanderosDisclaimerSitemap